Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Things are looking up!

Right, well, Ricky has been pooping all day! Hooray! The other two and I got there about 2:30pm and an x-ray was taken then. The resident told me that Ricky was still pretty full of poop, which was also easy to see by his distended belly.

So the plan was to finish giving his NG tube Go-Lytely, run the NG tube on suction for a while to get the air out of his belly (he has seemed to have a lot this whole time), and then remove the NG tube tonight. At some point I was also supposed to give what would hopefully be the last enema. (Ugh.)

Plans changed only slightly over the evening. He was put on suction indefinitely actually, and they'll keep checking his belly distension. The NG tube was not removed yet. I actually explained to the chief resident (when he came to check Ricky out) that I was afraid of it coming out too soon. What if he remains blocked and we have to put it in again? Ugh!!

Good news is that Ricky is hungry ("for real food! Not Jello!") but bad news is that they won't let him eat yet. He is a pain about taking pills because it hurts to swallow with the tube in. He refuses to drink anything cold (including the apple juice with his Miralax in it) because it hurts.

But at least we have poop!!! Yay! :)

While we were waiting for things to happen (which always take forever in a hospital) Misty and her buddy, Ricky's neighbor Jaden, who is 3, went to visit the therapy animals -- three dogs and a bunny! I have a great Polaroid of Misty with the bunny but there are some cute pictures with this entry as well, and also Ricky's daily picture!

Thank you to everyone for your support. Couldn't do this without all of the encouragement!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how Misty makes friends with whoever she meets -- whether it's a sick little kid at the hospital, or a pet therapy animal! :D She is a very sweet and social girl & you should be proud of her. Then again, I'm sure you are! *hugs*

But even better than that is the fact that Ricky is pooping! YAY!!! What a relief! It's also good news that his desire for food is back. I've been thinking good thoughts for him, of course, and will continue! :)))

Shari

Barbara said...

Great news! Hoping all things keep moving in the same direction!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails