
When I got to the hospital this morning, the nurse told me that the doctors had finally scheduled the gastrographin enema scan. Basically this means they put this enema of gastrographin contrast in and scan him with the fluoroscope to find where the blockage is. The side effect of this test generally is that the person poops. Ricky's blockage was in the lower bowel, not even as far as the transverse (across) bowel. It was blocking things so much that it forced the enema catheter out three times.
Even with the versed sedation, Ricky had a really hard time even letting them insert the thing the first time. He wanted me to do it. Well obviously they needed someone with a bit more education and experience! But they all pretended that I was doing it and he let them do the test. The radiologist was unable to budge the blockage, but he theorized that regular enemas or soapy water enemas could get it out.
The whole procedure was excruciating to watch. I felt so bad for him. It must have been scary and humiliating all at once. He was so brave and I am so proud of him.
Not long after Ricky got back to the room, he did go to the bathroom and go a LOT but we weren't sure if the blockage came out. So it's a wait and see thing now, probably with more enemas. After he went, though, his belly looked a lot less distended already and he was breathing easier. Yay! He is still on the oxygen but if he keeps pooping, he'll be able to get off of it very soon I'm sure.
So, keep your fingers crossed. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment