Thursday, April 16, 2009

Still lookin' good!

Today Misty was home sick so I did not go to work after all. She and I did go up to visit Ricky for a little while, but not too long. It happened to be good timing as he was just about to get his NG tube pulled. He had already ordered up a big anticipatory lunch. They didn't bring him what he wanted, but he still liked what they brought (taquitos and refried beans, and a cookie that he gave to Misty) so as soon as that tube came out (which was no biggie, but he held both of my hands just in case) he went to town on those and the jumbo-sized Jamba Juice smoothie that I got for him (I had called the nurse in advance to make sure that he'd be able to eat it).

He was off oxygen, but only satting in the low 90s, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had to go back on it tonight. He is apparently still pooping, but his belly still looks distended to me. I guess it could take a while for all of it to come out! While I was there, his gastroenterologist from San Jose called and asked how he was doing. I filled her in on things resolving and she said if he is still there this weekend she would come see him.

Ricky also seemed in generally better spirits. He had a breathing treatment (with the Vest -- first time for that since he started with the bowel problems) while we were there. He was talkative and active and awake. (He was asleep when I got there but that didn't last long.) One weird thing he mentioned was that he was hearing Pokémon battle music in his right ear when he was trying to sleep. Isn't that strange? He called his class on the phone and talked to each of his classmates (there are only 5). He was watching "Home Alone 2" when we left and I told him I'd be back tomorrow. I need a break tonight, especially now that things are going well with Ricky.

Later on, I called and talked to Ricky's nurse and asked some things I had been wondering. First, when were we looking at for discharge? She said that he is having PFTs tomorrow and if those are good, he could go home tomorrow -- but that the doctors feel that it's more likely he'll be there through the weekend. That sounds about right to me... His lungs still need to catch up from the losses they made when his bowels were messed up. The vest machine really makes a difference for him.

If Ricky does stay past tomorrow, this will be his longest hospitalization ever (either than when he was born and in the NICU for 7 weeks). Of course, it has been quite an unusual hospitalization this time. Whew!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Don't you just love setting records for how long your kid is staying in the hospital... I had already done the math and if we are here through the 24th (which is anticipated) then this will be our longest stay since the NICU. Joy!

Unknown said...

Yes, definitely not the kind of record we want to set, is it!? :P I have been keeping you guys in my thoughts. I hate this hospital/medical stuff. If only they could just play and be kids all the time!

Alicia said...

Yes, I hate that record! I'm so glad you stopped by, and I'll be adding your blog to my Google Reader! Great to meet you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails