Let's try this again... First time I posted this it apparently broke the blog! Sorry about that!
Why am I still awake? I'm guessing I'm still up because I'm anxious about tomorrow (Friday). Ricky is going under general anesthesia again, this time for manual bowel disimpaction. Basically the doctor (his gastroenterologist, who has known him since he was born) will rub his belly to get the poop worked down to the rectum, where she can remove it more easily. I signed the consent today. I'm glad it's Dr. M who is doing the procedure, but I still worry.
The neurology team apparently decided today to extend the 24 hour video EEG to 48 hours. Ricky is annoyed because the cap is irritating and makes him itch. Of course he is still also highly annoyed by the NG tube. He says it hurts his throat and he has been refusing meds because he doesn't want to swallow. When I am there I am able to get him to take them with broth, thank goodness.
The docs ordered two enemas for today. Ricky doesn't even want to sit up, let alone get out of bed. He says it's because of the NG tube but I suspect that at least part of it has to do with his belly being distended and uncomfortable. :( He is on gallons of Go-lytely through his NG tube anyway. So I respectfully refused to give the enemas.
A cardiologist came to see Ricky today because there was a possible cardiac cause for his dizziness that has been under consideration. She went over his entire history and our family history with me, and then examined him. She said that he has a "loud second heart". I looked this up and apparently it can refer to A2 or P2. I take it those are heart chambers. Anyway, one cause of this could be pulmonary hypertension, which a lot of people with CF (and other pulmonary issues) apparently get by nature of their lung condition. She is ordering a heart ultrasound and if his heart is enlarged, PH is something to think about.
I'm not sure if I'd be more worried if the cause of the dizzy spells is his heart, or if it is his brain!
Ricky's having another belly x-ray in the morning. He has been pooping but pretty loose stuff. If the x-ray shows resolution to the poop problem, they'll cancel tomorrow's procedure.
I'm taking my mom to the doctor at 9:30 and then I'll head up to the hospital for Ricky's procedure.
Goodnight!

1 comment:
I read the posts before and the one after this at this point... I have a VERY VERY similar history of blockages due to jejunal atresia at birth. Here is what I suggest next time, because this happens to me once or twice a year if I'm not careful: call the CF center before heading to the ER and request the following: a WARM gastrografin enema to the tune of 2-3 liters to reach the obstruction. They are to leave the inflatable tip in for no less than 5 minutes (rolling around for x-rays optional) and then release the valve so the fluid flows into the garbage can. If it looks disgusting, it worked, and Ricky needs to lay there for another 5-10 minutes with his head tilted down until he can't hold it a second longer. That first 5 seconds on the toilet may make his head hit the ceiling.
If they give him a small dose of morphine for pain, but not enough to retard the digestive tract, and then do this specific enema, I can almost guarantee results if they do it exactly as described. My CF doctor now orders this under threat of bodily harm to the ER staff.
It avoids everything laxative- he's just going to puke and get dehydrated and they've proven Go-Lytely doesn't work for s**t (obviously pun intended). Mucamist = nope. Dulcolax = nope. Miralax = nope. Fleet enemas = get real!
Post a Comment