Ricky's belly started to look distended again yesterday. I called his gastroenterologist and she came in to check things out. An abdominal x-ray was done and yes, the blockage was still there. Sigh.
So he's been having enemas again (at least he's letting people other than me do them now) and tomorrow (Tuesday) they are doing the gastrografin enema scan again -- this time under general anesthesia.
I did not go into too much detail about the scan the last time he had it. Oh, it is not a pleasant procedure at all. We did it last Monday as you might recall. They hang a BIG bag of this gastrografin contrast stuff and then shoot it into his butt (sorry to be blunt there) while they scan with a fluoroscope (kinda like a live x-ray). Originally this procedure was used or diagnostic purposes but it turned out to clean people out so well that they started using it for that purpose.
As you may recall, when they did it last week, even under awake sedation (versed) Ricky was very freaked out and scared and didn't want to cooperate. Versed is also supposed to make a person not able to remember anything that happens when they are on it, but with him he remembered EVERYTHING so I'm pretty sure the doctors just figured that it was better to put him under this time. His gastroenterologist also mentioned the possibility of working the blockage out manually (pressing on his abdomen) while he is out but I don't know if they'll be doing that.
Last week, the blockage was not too far in from the rectum, but too far in to be reached by traditional enemas. On Sunday via x-ray it still looked like that was the case. When they did the scan last week, it was persistent enough that it forced the enema stuff right back out. :( It was awful. I am so glad he is going to be asleep this time.
In other news... I reaccessed his port on Saturday and for some reason it clotted up today already. So I accessed it again today. It is funny how excited the nurses get when they find out that I am going to do this task instead of them!
Also, the respiratory therapist this afternoon let me know that Ricky's lungs sound GREAT. Yay!
Ricky did pass a lot of gas and poop some yesterday and today, and while he feels a bit better, he is still distended. So I think the procedure is probably a good idea, as much as I hate the idea of it.
To top everything off... Because you know, not enough stress yet... My diverticulitis flared up yesterday... Likely due to stress and eating crummy food due to always running back and forth to the hospital. I was in misery all last night and still weak, dizzy and dehydrated today. I need to be strong for Ricky but I also need to take better care of myself or I am no help to him. Do me a favor and keep reminding me of this, okay? :)
Goodnight...

1 comment:
Im so glad his lungs sound great!!! Hoping everything else gets better soon.....
Post a Comment