Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Frustrated!!

So today started out with Ricky refusing to take his morning meds unless he got an abdominal x-ray. He didn't believe that he needed the gastrografin scan.

So instead of getting myself to the doctor, I had to go running up there to deal with the crisis. By the time I got there, he'd destroyed a bunch of papers in the room, and then they actually gave him his x-ray. Yes, they did what he wanted. *sigh* I got him to take his meds. The resident told me that Ricky may or may not have the scan based on the x-ray results.

Results? Poop. Plenty of it. So at 2:00, after being NPO (nothing by mouth) all day (and plenty cranky about it), I walked down with Ricky on the gurney (and hospital personnel of course) for the dreaded scan. At least he got Versed beforehand and was asleep for the actual procedure.

The procedure only took about half an hour and Ricky finally woke up two hours after that! I sat with him and the recovery room nurse and I tried to get him to wake up. Kid just wanted to sleep. :)

Eventually he gave up and woke up and then rode back up to his room in a wheelchair. He was cranky as hell, wanting to eat. He got a popsicle and his psych meds right away. I hung around and waited for the scan results but finally had to leave because I was already way late to pick up Misty.

The resident had been consulting with the radiologist and finally called me with the news: The scan was mostly unsuccessful. This time the contrast made it up to the transverse portion of the colon before it hit a blockage, and they were unable to get it further.

So the plan for tomorrow is: NG tube with lots of Go-Lytely down it.

*sigh* Tomorrow's gonna be a GREAT day. Yes I'm being sarcastic. Ugh!!!

1 comment:

Bev Sykes said...

I'm so sorry this is such a difficult time for both you and Ricky. {{hugs}}

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails