Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ups and downs!

Hi everyone! Ricky's had some ups and downs the past few days.

On Tuesday I got to the hospital at about 2:00, ready to re-access Ricky's port (it can only stay accessed for 7 days at a time). The nurse told me that by 4:15 his meds should be finished infusing and I could do it. At 7:00 I asked her again and she said it would be another 20 minutes or so. At 8:30 I was getting really frustrated because I wanted to get Misty home and put her to bed at a reasonable hour so I asked the night nurse what was going on. Turned out that Ricky was infusing on maintenance (saline)! Which meant that he could have been disconnected already! So she disconnected him from the line and by 9:30 he was finally deaccessed and reaccessed. We got home late that night.

On Tuesday, Ricky was also able to stop having Go-Lytely but then he was put back on it yesterday because he's still a bit plugged up. The doctors have been reluctant to pull the NG tube because they want to make sure Ricky will still drink his Miralax and Mucomyst. Yesterday I tried to convince them to take it out -- because he always drinks his Miralax at home -- and does he really need to have Mucomyst still? It is nasty and he really won't drink it. The lead resident was reluctant to do this, still wanted Ricky having Mucomyst, and finally decided to keep the NG tube in until Saturday -- but the good news was that they planned on discharging him on Saturday.

Fast forward to today... Ricky called me to tell me that they're taking out his NG tube today. A little while ago he called me again to tell me that it's out!!! Yay!!!

The new therapy vest arrived last week and we're going to be trained on how to use it today when I go see Ricky. Then we can take it with us on vacation when we leave on Monday. Hooray!

That's all for now...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails