Went to the neurologist on Wednesday and it went well. It was a pretty quick visit, but the good news is that Dr. O had followed Ricky's case in the hospital in April so I didn't have to go over everything with him again.
He did a neuro exam and then said he wanted to put Ricky on Topamax, a very tiny dose, to see if it helps with the dizzy spells. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We'll titrate it up until it does work (if it does) up to 50mg total per day.
He also wants to do a head MRI as well as a specialized MRI that looks at the blood vessels in the head to see if there is a problem there. I mentioned that the endocrinologist might be wanting to do a CT of the pituitary gland (it's something we were going to discuss at his appointment later this month) and he said he'd add that on.
I Twittered about the Topamax and got a number of responses from people who have been on it for various things. The terms like "dopamax" and talk of appetite suppression (the last thing Ricky needs) and mood swings worried me... So today I left a message for the neurology service and a nurse practitioner called me back. She said that the effects like those are from very LARGE doses, and Ricky will be on a very, very small dose. So... I think we are going to go ahead and try it.
Today was Ricky's last day of school. I guess it was a busy one because this afternoon and evening he was very tired and grumpy. :P Starting tomorrow he'll be off for a few weeks until he starts summer school.
Guess that's it for now!
10 comments:
Hey, it's One Old Momma,
Thanks for the mention on the April Rose is Still Fake blog. I don't have a blog myself, so I can't post there (no Anonymous). I'm just so tired of Jennifer's hypocrisy and "TRUTH" - as a liberal Christian who's had some tough stuff in life like many of us, I just can't stomach her anymore.
Hey, do you mind if I paste your comment over on the other blog? I won't if you don't want me to. But we all think you rock. :)
That's fine - I don't know a whole lot about this blogging world - did I goof my posting April Rose is Still Fake on the trib?
I found you in the FB group (:
Hope you don't mind me following you!
No, I think it's okay. If the baddies get over there onto that blog we can make it private. But that means you'll have to join Blogger. :)
Yay! Welcome, Kay. :)
It's One Old Momma again,
I live in the Minneapolis area, and Jennifer lives in a suburb here. She's been featured on the local news a number of times, and in the local paper. Don't know why I follow her - she just makes me mad!
I hijacked her blog a while back - got into some witty banter with Chatty Cathy 1975. Pretty fun.
I'm havin' a great time reading all of this. Thanks for the fun.
Hey Rebekah,
Still following on Little April Rose is Still Fake.
You are all making me laugh. Pretty witty women. I appreciate you. Can you tell everybody you're all making my day?
Hugs,
One Old Momma
Hi again Rebekah,
Here's a link to a May 13, 2009 blog about Jennifer in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. They had to disable comments cause some people were being pretty hard on her. On the page, there's also a link to the main article that was on the front page. Hope you don't get ill.
One Old Mom
http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/cribsheet/2009/05/13/mckmamas-day/
Hey Rebekah. Autumn here from ARISF blog.
Post a Comment