Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ricky's ENT visit

I just wrote about Ricky's visit in an email and it came out so well that I thought I'd copy it here rather than type it all over again!

We went to the ENT yesterday. I took a copy of the audiology report with me, and it's a good thing I did since they didn't have their copy handy.

Anyway, the resident did a few tests on Ricky, after hearing what the problem was. One was blowing air into Ricky's ears to see if that made him dizzy, and he then had him lay down and turn his head this way and that to see if that made him dizzy. None of that made him dizzy.

He and the attending ENT both think that it could be one of three things:

1. Migraines;
2. A heart arrhythmia of some kind; or
3. A problem from his CF that causes him to not have his blood oxygenated efficiently (doubtful because his CF is not that bad -- I think that's more of an endstage thing -- but who knows).

They also scoped his nose/sinuses because that is what he's usually seen by ENT for -- chronic sinusitis. No polyps in there.

They are deferring us to neuro (thankfully we finally got the authorization and have an appointment in April), and if the neuro exam is normal they suggest that the pediatrician refer us to a cardiologist, possibly to have him wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours or something along those lines.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged because I was hoping we'd get some answers. But I can wait til next month. Maybe the neurologist will have some answers for us.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails