Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ricky today

I thought Ricky might be well enough to go to school today, but I should have known better... When I have been on Prednisone it has taken 2-3 days for me to start feeling a little better.

He got up before me this morning. He even had breakfast. :) But he said his chest was tight and there was mucus in his throat that kept coming up (ew, I know) and he had not gotten dressed yet. I made the executive decision, after a discussion with Ricky, to keep him home. So I called out sick to work and stayed home with him.

Ricky stayed comfortable on the couch and I got some stuff done around the house. I kept Misty home. While she napped, Ricky and I had some bonding time. :)

I spoke with Ricky's teacher and she was saddened to hear that he was sick. Today he missed picture retakes (the ones he had taken a month ago were pretty awful because he had a sinus infection at the time and was miserable) and also missed turning in his magazine fundraiser stuff. Luckily all of the orders he got (15 of them at last count!) were online, so that shouldn't matter.

I also spoke with his mental health professionals today. I canceled the meeting we are supposed to have at the house on Friday just because things are so uncertain AND I may end up working that day to make up for missing at least three days of work this week.

In the afternoon, Ricky had individual therapy followed by group therapy. Apparently he was fairly regressive in individual therapy, rather like a 2 year old according to the therapist. This may have been a product of his not feeling well or the Prednisone affecting his mood. However, he did fine in group therapy. He is the youngest and paradoxically most focused person in his group.

We'll see how things are tomorrow. I hope he starts to get better. I observed him working pretty hard to breathe a few times today, but I know that the Prednisone can help the tightness and maybe help with the breathing difficulty. A while ago, in his sleep, he had a pretty bad coughing fit.

I really hate this disease. I just hope we see some improvement soon. This is four exacerbations in a year; his disease has definitely progressed. Before he went in a year ago, he had been out of the hospital for a year and a half.

That's it for now.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Rebekah: Thank you for stopping by my blog. Oh, I so can relate to a child with special needs. Curtis doesn't have the vast areas of issues that Ricky has, but his problems are neurological and mental health issues. I am hoping that maybe we can be of support to one another via the net. Ricky is a handsome kid!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails