I left Ricky just before 8 last night and he was as settled in as he was going to be. To my surprise, he'd totally battled the nurses who were trying to put in his IV. He lately has been very good about these things. My theory is that the simply wasn't feeling well. Finally a nurse from the vascular access department came up and placed the IV after Ricky had calmed down a bit.
When I was leaving, his meds still had not arrived, so I gave him meds from home since he was nearly asleep and it would be impossible to wake him up to take meds later. I can't believe how slow that pharmacy is -- we'd been there 6 hours and they still hadn't sent the meds up.
This morning Ricky should be having his PICC line (this is a link to a cancer site, but the idea is the same) placed. He's terrified about this prospect, as last time he was in (in October) it took three hours to place it because of a problem with the arm they started with. I reminded the vascular nurses about this so they could check the chart and find out which arm was the better one. Neither Dave or I will be able to be there for this, but Ricky will be heavily sedated (which unfortunately means he won't be allowed to eat this morning -- he is NOT going to be happy about that).
I am going to work this morning. Dave's off, but he has a physical with his doctor (he's a new patient, so it's a long appointment and he'd have to wait a couple of months to get another one if he cancelled) at 10:15. After that he'll wait for Andrew to get home on the bus (about 2:00) and then they'll go up to the hospital. I am off work at 2:30 but then I'm going to get my permanent crown placed and have a cleaning. I'd rather skip it and go to Ricky, but given how much this temporary has been bothering me, I'd really better do it. So after that I'll go to Ricky (and reunite with Dave and Andrew) and we'll see what happens from there.
It's weird not having Ricky at home. Of course it makes me sad, but it's also strange to be able to sleep in a bit, not having to get him up to do his breathing treatments in the morning.
Last night I cancelled the hotel reservations for our trip to Morro Bay/Hearst Castle, since Ricky will be in the hospital for at least a week, if not more. Today I'm going to cancel the Hearst Castle tickets. There is supposed to be a service charge for cancellation, but I'm going to attempt to get them to cancel it given the circumstances.
The pulmonologist is so far saying he'll be in at least a week.
Guess that's it for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment