As I expected, the pulmonologist (Dr. W) and the ENT (Dr. C) decided in their meeting today not to do surgery on Ricky. While he's congested and infected right now, the sinuses have not been making his lungs significantly sicker as they did five years ago prior to his previous (and only) sinus surgery. So we're going to just wait for now, and take him back to the ENT clinic in the summertime after the usual colds and bacterial infections have calmed down.
This also means no PICC line placement tomorrow. He'll stay in peripheral IVs until he goes home.
The interesting thing is that when I called the nurses' station, Dr. W actually answered the phone herself, because she'd paged someone and was waiting for a call back. So I talked to her directly after I'd hoped to be lucky enough even to speak with Ricky's nurse. Dr. W is really nice. I almost wish we could switch to her as our pulmonologist (she's the one on the CF team who's covering this week). She told me that Dr. C was very dedicated to Ricky and spent a lot of time with him and she felt they'd made the right decision.
So, what this means is that Ricky can come home on Tuesday afternoon/evening. I am happy about him coming home after only a week.
So, yay, good news. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment