Wednesday, March 17, 2010

update - doctor visits

Week before last, Ricky saw the neurologist about his increased fatigue and dizziness on the increased Topamax dose he's been on for a while. The decision was made to reduce the dose back down to what it was before and see what happens.

Ricky had an eventful week last week. On Monday, in addition to a bunch of other labs that he gets done yearly, he had his three hour glucose tolerance test, which ended up being normal, yay. That day he also saw his gastroenterologist and that went well, too.

On Tuesday, we had an eventful day. Ricky saw the endocrinologist, who looked over his other blood tests from the day before. His thyroid level was, as always, borderline low. Most of the other stuff looked normal. He has grown two inches in the past year, and the endocrinologist decided to put off any intervention with regard to his delayed puberty. They want us to come back in a year.

Next he had his yearly full pulmonary function tests. Those went well, and his numbers looked great.

Then Ricky saw the pulmonologist. His weight has flatlined and his growth curve is actually dropping. We're supposed to push lots of weight gain shakes. His lungs sounded great and the doc was pleased with the results of the PFTs. His iron was a bit low too, so we're temporarily decreasing his iron supplement frequency.

Ricky's dizzy spells, meanwhile, have been debilitating now that the Topamax dose has been decreased. Monday he spent much of his school day sleeping off another dizzy spell. So I called the neurologist's nurse to ask what we should do. She called me back to tell me she'd ask the doctor and get back to me. She called back and left a voicemail... I couldn't believe her response. Either we increase the dose back up... Which will make him sleep all day again... Or he just "gets used to the dizziness sensation." Seriously? What kind of a choice is that, exactly? I was so livid I couldn't even call her back to tell her what our decision was (for now, I have not increased the dose). I don't know what to do. Second opinion? Angry voicemail to tell her just what I think of her message?

I've also been playing phone tag with the cardiology clinic. Ricky is supposed to go there for another heart ultrasound with regard to the enlarged aortic valve that the geneticist mentioned (the pulmonologist explained it to us, so now I know a little bit more about what we're looking at).

The aortic valve issue and the dizziness (in this case referred to as dysautonomia) could also be symptoms of Ehlers-Danlos. Of course, he's not going to be tested for that unless the genetic tests we're waiting on come back as normal. And we won't have those results for weeks.

Also made another psychiatrist appointment... It's been a while since Ricky's been to see his psychiatrist.

Things just never get dull around here, eh?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails