Monday, November 2, 2009

Some news

So, today I spoke with one of the residents who's taking care of Ricky. The first, less-reliable H1N1 test came back negative. The second one, the more accurate PCR, should have results tomorrow. The resident feels that the first one being negative *is* a good sign. If it turns out that he doesn't have H1N1, he can finally get the shot for it, because they just got them today.

Ricky's okay, a bit listless, tired, achy, and when I left him he'd begun to run a fever again. He has very little appetite (I was like that a week ago -- but he needs the calories!) except for rice. He napped for close to 4 hours and I had to tell several different people *not* to wake him. (If they'd needed to wake him for important stuff, I would have let them!)

He's been refusing to do his vest therapy because he's achy and sweaty. This presents a problem because the only way that junk is coming out of his chest is by using the vest! IMHO, within the next day or two he'll stop being so achy and he'll do the vest. Guess we'll see.

His O2 sats are, not surprisingly, a little low, but he's not in danger of needing oxygen, yay. He's been very quiet today, a little out of it. They wanted him to go down and do his spirometry this afternoon but he was sleeping so I asked them to reschedule... (It would have been difficult to get a good result with him so sleepy.) Now he's going to go tomorrow morning.

Based upon the results of the flu test and the spirometry, the docs will decide if this is going to be a full course visit (the whole two weeks) or not.

The docs treating Ricky apparently called for a psych consult proactively, because of behavior he has had in the past. I spoke with a med student and at some point one of them is going to come back and talk to him. It's good to have them involved *before* there's a problem.

LPCH doesn't allow visitors under 16 this flu season, so it's going to be difficult for the other kids and me. We'll just have to take things one day at a time.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind wishes and prayers for Ricky. He's a tough kid. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails