What ended up happening last night after I blogged... From Twitter (times are estimated):
12:30am Ricky's in miserable constant pain. I'm calling the pedi gastro doc.
12:45am Hurts every time he moves. Opting for the ER at this time. Will update.
1:00am waiting in the ER
1:15am O2 sats low for him. He rates pain at 8.
2:00am Chest x-ray then CT scan.
2:03am Chest x-ray - http://snaptweet.com/56893
2:30am Ricky's getting his port accessed now. [he got fluids -- guess they figured that since there was a port they might as well use it]
2:35am There is a nurse here who looks like Silent Bob.
2:40am Worth mentioning that once again, accessing nurse tried to put Tegaderm on very allergic boy.
2:50am Hoo boy. enema time. not for me thankfully. ha ha. Ricky seems ok with the idea.
2:55am And we have success. Hopefully home soon?
3:30am we are home. Ricky's doing just fine. Heading to bed. Will have to go to my mom's in a few hours to get the other two kids.
4:00am and now... I sleep.
noon Ricky's up and around and doing fine. Just finishing getting ready, and then going to get the other 2 kids. :)
So yeah, it was an eventful night. He was totally unable to get comfortable and sleep last night, even with a hot pack, and every time he moved or breathed he felt pain. The ER was the right choice in the end (poor choice of words?). Our enema (after the mag citrate) at home didn't do anything but the hospital one (same kind I am sure, but more persistence) worked like a charm. He slept a lot today to catch up, and will be back in school tomorrow (and they are celebrating his birthday!).
4 comments:
Poor guy. I know that pain and it is not fun at all. Sometimes an enema seems like sweet sweet heaven.
Is that a normal x-ray for him? It's hard to see in the picture but it looks so much better than what I imagined a CF kiddo's lungs to look like. I haven't taken a picture of Dakota's x-rays in forever but I think I will next time.
Yeah, it's more or less a normal x-ray for him. There's a little haziness on the left side there, in the lower lobe, and that's pretty typical lately. He has bronchiectasis, but that's a crummy blurry picture so it's hard to really see.
I think it's pretty amazing how those x-rays pop right up on the computer screen!
His x-ray look similar to what Dakota's look like when she's not sick, from what I can see in the picture at least. She too has bronchiectasis in both lower lobes and the middle love of her right lung with some chronic atelectasis we can't ever seem to clear in her right upper lobe.
Sounds like they have similar issues despite different diagnoses... Ricky develops atelectasis when he is sick but it generally clears up. The lower left lobe is usually the bad one for him, but it gets much worse and into both lungs when he has an exacerbation. Lately, this has been happening very quickly... As in he'll be a little sick one day and by two days later he needs to be admitted and/or be on IVs. It sure is scary. :(
I realize that we are blessed that he has gotten this far before having serious lung disease. It could definitely be a lot worse. But I do not look forward to things getting even worse. :(
Post a Comment