Wednesday, September 24, 2008

eye doctor appointment


Ricky with his new glasses
Originally uploaded by Beckerbuns
Today Misty and I got Ricky from school and took him to his ophthamology appointment up at Stanford. I called the transportation department at least an hour before school was going to get out and canceled Ricky's bus. I also called and talked to the classroom aide and told him that I was picking Ricky up. Nonetheless, I got there and the classroom was deserted and Ricky was on the bus! It's a good thing his driver saw me and didn't leave, or I would have missed him! Apparently the dispatcher and the teacher had not passed on the message to anyone. Grr.

Anyway, we headed up to the eye appointment. We got there a little before the appointment, which was scheduled for 3:45. They warned me that she was running about 15 minutes behind, and we did get called in at 4. The technician did some preliminary examination and testing and administered the dilation drops (ick) and said we should sit in the waiting room for 20 min.

20 minutes turned into half an hour... And then an hour! We finally went back again after 5! The doctor then didn't even come into the exam room til after 5:30, apologizing profusely. It's a good thing that she's a great doctor, or I would have been more annoyed. She examined him and determined that his prescription will be staying the same... I think it has been the same for 2 years now, but I may have lost track.

I mentioned the dizziness but she didn't think there was a connection. She thinks we need to pursue neuro and endocrine, which I had a feeling about anyway. She wrote him a note to excuse him from today's homework, because his eyes were dilated. Lucky kid. :) We go back in a year.

While we'd been waiting I'd visited the lab, right across the waiting room, to see if they could go ahead and do the labs that the gastroenterologist ordered, but it turns out that our medical group uses a different lab, so we'll have to go a different day. It's just as well, since for accurate results he really needs to be fasting (which with him is always SO much fun). They also can't draw it out of the port (not certified) so there's no point. I THINK that the lab down here will give me the vials and let me draw him from the port myself. So either I'll do that (because I can get the vials in advance and draw him first thing some morning so he doesn't have to wait around in their waiting room to be drawn, starving to DEATH -- he is so dramatic) or just let them draw from a vein sometime. He's just getting harder and harder to draw peripherally.

By the way, the picture you see with this post is a scan of a scrapbook page from the day that Ricky got his first glasses. He was all of 4.5 years old! You might be able to see he's a little cross-eyed... He had a lazy left eye, and that's still his weaker eye.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails