We were out geocaching yesterday (www.geocaching.com if you don't know what it is) and were on a kind of a hilly hike. Suddenly Ricky started sitting down at every opportunity, being really quiet, etc. I asked him if he was okay. Dave asked him if he had a rage coming on (sometimes he gets really quiet when that is about to happen). He shook his head.
After we found the geocache, and were on our way back to the car (long hike though), he said he felt dizzy. I had him sit on a fallen tree and put his head between his legs. Seemed like he was having some breathing trouble too so I gave him a couple of puffs on the inhaler. When he got up, after a while, he said he was still dizzy and had a headache. Dave offered to piggyback him up the hill but he said he was okay. So we just walked really slowly up the hill and back to the car. He sat for a little while on another log next to the car, dizzy and headachey, and said he was really sleepy. Then he got into the car and felt a lot better within about 15 minutes.
Dave's theory (he's a nurse so he knows a little more about these things) is that Ricky, who has been a little sick (coughing and wheezing a lot more lately), had a O2 saturation drop from all the hiking, and got dizzy and headachey and tired from this. A little while later he was able to recover after resting.
This has never happened to Ricky before, so I know I sound kinda naive. :) It kinda worries me but I realize that if he's sick maybe we shouldn't do these long hikes (even though the exercise is good for him).
No comments:
Post a Comment