I took Ricky to the pulmonologist on Tuesday for full pulmonary function tests (his first time) and a visit with the doctor. He also had his blood drawn and sputum collected for a culture. He was GREAT through everything (didn't even cry during the blood draw)... I am so proud of him. I also introduced Dave (my fiance, who incidentally is a pediatric RN) to everyone there and they were pleased to meet him.
The PFTs came out great. I called today for more details, and the doctor says there was a little air trapping here and there but nothing serious, and it was definitely relieved with a breathing treatment. It actually sounds like she was very impressed with how he is doing.
He is also now 4'5", which has put him off the top of the height charts! Although his weight on the charts is still average, it dropped a few pounds, which is not unusual considering he had the flu a few weeks ago and didn't eat for 3-4 days. He did have Tamiflu when he was sick, which we think shortened the length of his illness.
Ricky has had mold (aspergillus) growing in his lungs for some time and has been on medication (itraconozole) for it. The doctor is willing to let him come off the itraconozole after his IGE blood level has been below 200 for three months. I just got back his results from Tuesday and the level is still in the 200s, but lower than last time. So we are on the right track.
So far his sputum isn't growing anything, but we'll know for sure next week. I'm sure he will grow Pseudomonas, his usual bug. I hope nothing else! We will also get the rest of the blood test results next week, and we'll be going back to the clinic in 3 months.
Last week, we saw the psychiatrist. Ricky's been doing really well in school and behaviorally, especially since Dave, my mom and I started using 1-2-3 Magic for discipline. So his psych meds are staying the same and we will be going back in a month or so.
A few weeks ago I requested learning disability testing for Ricky (through the school district), and that is in progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment