Friday, January 25, 2002

Ricky at the park 02-03-2002


I met with Ricky's school psychologist yesterday and we went over his whole history. He's already had academic testing and she's going to start on social/emotional and speech testing, among other things. I expected her to be a pain in the butt as many of her colleagues have been in the past, but she was actually very sympathetic. I so far have high hopes, especially after hearing her say that he had a number of issues that qualified him for special education (which is what I feel he needs at this point).

At the parenting class last night, it came up in discussion that one sign of a learning disability in a child is him not respecting other people's personal space, getting in their face, not understanding proper social cues. Ricky has this occur quite frequently, and yet the school psychologist claims that it is impossible to diagnose a learning disability before second or third grade or so. The teacher of my class disagrees.

The parenting class was great too, by the way. We had some great activities within small groups.

Guess that's it for now. I'm leaving work in about 25 minutes 2 o'clock PST to take Ricky to the eye doctor. He has amblyopia and a lazy eye and his eye has been crossing again, so I think he's going to need a stronger prescription. Oh boy, expensive glasses to buy again! Ugh!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails