Last I blogged, I had just taken Ricky to the dentist up at UCSF. He was supposed to get his teeth pulled several weeks after that.
I took him back in July and that day he fell asleep on the way to UCSF. I went to wake him up when we got there, and his nail beds and eyelids were blue! He got a little oxygen in the dental clinic and didn't end up having his teeth pulled. In fact, we ended up spending the afternoon and evening in the UCSF emergency room making sure he was okay.
So Ricky has been rescheduled and is going to get those teeth pulled next month. We are going to try for doing all three, under only local anesthesia. If that doesn't work for any reason he'll go under general anesthesia. Hope it all goes well.
We spent much of the summer doing summery things... Day trips to the beach, a Weird Al concert, a They Might Be Giants concert, trips to Gilroy Gardens. We had a lot of fun!

At the beach with friends.

At the Weird Al concert.
Ricky also spent a lot of time doing this:

I have been back and forth with the neurologist. Ricky has been to see him a couple of times and is going again this week. Ricky sleeps a lot, has had these absence-like seizures, and the dizzy spells combined with nausea and extreme tiredness, throughout the summer and into the fall. The neurologist offered Imitrex to help with the spells. Ricky's supposed to take them when he starts to feel rotten. We have used a pill once. It took away the headache and dizzy spell but knocked him out for hours. More on this farther down...
So school started in late August.

First day of high school!
Yeah, first day of high school. Where did my baby go? The first week was really rough. Ricky became pretty severely dehydrated on a couple of occasions. It was a really hot week. I took him in two flats of bottled water that's kept in his special education classroom for him to use as much as needed. I also bought him some Gatorade more recently, because water may not be enough.
He has also had some neurological issues... Sleeping or passing out and becoming unresponsive. Two times were serious enough that the school personnel called 911. The first occasion, I was able to rouse Ricky and he did not go to the hospital. On the second occasion, I was up at Stanford with Andrew at an appointment and the school nurse called to report that Ricky was experiencing nausea and dizziness. I thought it might be a migraine but I couldn't get there very quickly. As happened on the first occasion, an ambulance was called. The second occasion, I couldn't get there on time and he was transported to the local emergency room. A CT scan and blood tests were done and they couldn't find anything wrong.
We are going back to the neurologist this week and I am hoping we can get to the bottom of things. This is so frustrating. I am also meeting with people from the school this week to talk about a plan.
Ricky started the school year in mainstream 3D design (which was called crafts when I went there -- yes, to this same high school), mainstream Algebra, and mainstream PE. As of this Monday, he will be moving into a math class in his special education class, and adaptive PE. The Algebra class was way too fast paced for him, though he really did try to make it. He was apparently making a great effort. The PE class is made up of way too many students for Ricky to get the help/accommodations that he needs so he is transitioning into adaptive PE with another student in his special ed class. These sound like good solutions.
This month, Ricky saw the gastroenterologist and the pulmonologist. He has grown a bit taller and put on some weight -- he's 5'3 now and around 100-101 pounds. Tall and skinny. He does eat well so hopefully we will see more some improvement in his growth; his growth curve has flattened out and dropped within the past several years.
Pancrecarb, the digestive enzyme that Ricky has been taking for many years, was un-approved by the FDA this year -- apparently for no reason except for it being at the request of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. This left us with a quandary: What enzymes should he take? We ended up going with Creon, which he took for about five years starting with his diagnosis right after birth. Well, this time, in ways I will not enumerate here to save him some embarrassment (and since I've already Twittered about them), these Creon enzymes are not agreeing with him. He actually missed two days of school. The nutritionist at the CF clinic has offered up several possible solutions and so far they are not working. So we are hanging in there, hoping that at some point the FDA will re-approve Pancrecarb.
The pulmonology (CF clinic) appointment went great. Ricky's lungs are sounding and performing great. His growth, as mentioned, is going well. Hooray Ricky!
We go back to the pulmonologist and gastroenterologist in December.
Ricky's bipolar disorder is currently stable. He is due to go back to the psychiatrist. This summer he again attended camp for bipolar children and teens and he did great. He also made a new friend with whom we've had a couple of visits -- including a trip to the Palo Alto Airport Day last weekend... Ricky, Andrew, and Ricky's friend got to ride in a small plane, and had a blast! Here's a picture.

So I guess that just about catches us up. I promise not to take so long before I update again!
1 comment:
Zenpep: http://www.cffatboy.com/2010/03/zenpep-the-new-enzyme-on-the-block/
Post a Comment