Sorry it has been so long since I posted an update on Ricky. He is doing great! He went back to school a few weeks ago and is doing great there, better than last year. He is in the eighth grade now! (Andrew is now in the sixth grade -- at a different school -- so now I have two middle schoolers!)
Week before last, Ricky had his hospital follow-up appointment with the pulmonologist. His lung function testing was great, and his sputum grew only one of his usual bugs, S. maltophilia. Unfortunately, his weight was down to 92 pounds. The nutritionist is helping us get some weight gain shakes, but it's taking a little time to wrangle with the insurance about what they will cover. Don't you just love insurance companies?
Last week Ricky went to the gastroenterologist for a routine follow-up. We discussed his hospitalization and his weight loss. She is of the opinion that he will end up with a g-tube and Nissen fundoplication eventually because his has CF and is skinny. It's just a matter of when. She's not ready to do it yet (whew) but would like to see him drinking shakes. When he had shakes before he was drinking two of them per day. Maybe we can get him to do that again.
Anyway, that is all for now. His next upcoming appointment is with the neurologist, whom I feel like giving a hug to because of Ricky's recovery from the debilitating dizzy spells now that he is on Topamax!

2 comments:
My oldest son has asthma and is in the 8th grade also. He weighs as much as Ricky does and no one has said he was underweight. But I'm proud to say he's asthma is finally under control. He's taking Symbicort once a day now and not having any attacks. We'll see how it goes the next couple months.
I'm glad Ricky is doing good. :)
I'm glad Ricky is doing well healthy wise and school wise!!! I'll be praying he can hopefully put on a little weight gain, and that the insurance company will cooperate!!!
I had a g-tube and fundoplication when I was in the 5th grade (about 10 yrs old); and yes, LOTS of CFers, if not the majority, end up having one. But it doesn't have to be permanent. I only had mine for about 4-5 years; I ended up starting on Megace, an appetite stimulate, which worked miracles; and then now post-transplant, I am able to keep a decent weight! Best of luck, and I know you will make the right decision and if and when!
Post a Comment